Friday, February 4, 2011

Twitter!

I really am beginning to feel like I don't fit in with my generation. I am 20 years old and supposedly a part of the generation of technology. Yet somehow, I have never had a twitter until about two weeks ago, and now I am struggling to find out everything there is to do with twitter.

For the past two and a half hours I have been looking up tips for twitter newbies and what not to do with twitter.


Please take note of the thousands of tabs open in the top of my screen. So far I have learned useful things. I learned how to tweet at specific people, which comes in very handy. I also learned how to search for friends and how to follow friends of friends who may have similar interests.

From there I learned how to use lists to organize who I am following. I also found a cool application that deals with lists and allows you to interview users who are listed. I found a really useful website on one of the tips for beginners sites that shortens URLs so that they can fit into a tweet.

I am becoming more confident with twitter so I was able to post some tweets based on the new things that I learned. One thing that I still do not quite understand how to use are hashtags. I understand that it groups users together for a common topic but I don't understand how those topics come about and how to find them. That's what I will be focusing on next.

Social media from what I am learning needs to be connected to one another. I am starting to see that a blog, a twitter, facebook, etc can not stand on its own. It is not nearly as effective as when all of these mediums are connected and used together. After learning this, I decided to link my twitter to my blog. I am also going to post a tweet with a link to my blog.

I am hoping that it all falls together nicely; but if not, I'm sure I will figure out a way to make it all work.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kiersten,

    Sounds like you are enjoying your first week with the Freeman. And if you are working with Ivan, you are in luck. He thinks outside the box. Look at his last few posts on snow tickets to residents in Kingston.

    Anyway, the reason I am making this comment. No,Ivan this is not about you, lol... Can you figure out how to change the title of your blog from 2010 to 2011 on the Freeman blog list. I am sure you did not put it on the Freeman website as 2010. But just as you are learning, we as adults still make the same small mistakes at times

    I remember my son spending time with Mr.Tony Adamis many years ago, and he enjoyed the experience. Hope you do also.

    Look forward to future posts from you, thanks

    enjoy
    lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lou,

    I am very much enjoying my time with the Freeman so far. I am already learning a lot from Ivan. I also will find out how to get in touch with somebody who can change the 2010 to 2011 on the website. Thank you for pointing that out to me! And thank you for reading! I will post another update soon!

    Kiersten

    ReplyDelete