Tuesday, February 1, 2011

#JRCChat

Today, I woke up at 7:15 to look outside my window and see a winter wonderland. I couldn't even see the streets. I checked my e-mail and saw that my 9:25 class was cancelled by my professor. I went back to sleep and woke up at 9am to start shoveling my car out. To make a long story short, I couldn't get my car out of my drive-way for two hours and when I did the roads were too bad to drive to Kingston.

Instead, I received an assignment for my internship to do at home. I followed a live chat via twitter. The first thing that I noticed is that the Live Chat on the Kingston Daily Freeman was faster than watching it occur on the TweetChat. This was the first live chat I had ever witnessed and it definitely was not what I expected. I thought it would be confusing and jumbled. However, it was very organized and easy to follow.

It was really cool to see that people from all over the place, who I am sure were working on or doing other things as well as participating in the chat, were trading ideas and resources with each other.

Along with seeing how well this form of communication works I also learned some other things. I understand crowd so much more after watching the chat. I also began to realize how important it is to be up to date with news 24/7. Having a twitter chat along with a video is also a great and effective idea. I also can see how having sister publications collaborate with each other can be a really positive thing.

Lastly, I thought question five was great: Not a question. Post a useful link. It was interesting and useful to see what other people thought were important links to use in the field of journalism.

So although I am still unable to leave my house, I did end up learning quite a bit in the one hour chat that took place.

No comments:

Post a Comment