Friday, February 18, 2011

It's Raining Cats and Dogs...



Cats and Dogs definitely took home the prize for most wins in this years Pet Photo Contest at the Daily Freeman. Today I was able to see the layout of the paper where the article I wrote will be published, along with the photos that won in each category.

It was definitely interesting to see the page layout before it is printed. I was able to see where information still needed to be filled and where advertisements still needed to be placed.

Since today is Friday, I read "This Week in Review" written by Mark Coddington from the Nieman Lab. This week it talked about Apple's decision on allowing other companies create apps for the iPad. Apple wants 30% of whatever these companies make and this decision has been receiving many different reactions; however, most are negative.




After I read some articles from Nieman Lab and Poynter, I began to put together slide shows of pictures from the pet contest to go along with the article online. I really am beginning to have a deeper understanding of why it is so important to supplement the articles that are posted online.

I tried many different kinds of slideshow makers (all of which were free). Vuvox was an application that I have tried in the past and it seemed very complicated and didn't work very well. Photosnack was one of the websites that I enjoyed working with because it was simple and allowed you to be creative with it. Kizoa was another website that I enjoyed working on.

In total, I made about 5 different slideshows of the winners, some good, some not so good. But it was good to play around with different sites because I was able to see what I liked and what I didn't like about each one.

Hopefully one of my slideshows is good enough to use...but nobody will know until Sunday when the article comes out!

I am going to leave off with one of my personal favorite photos I have seen from the contest...


They're all so cute!

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning Kiersten,

    Read your first published story online re: Freeman Pet Contest 2011. Very good in my opinion. I took the time to view all the best of categories. And the slideshow of those were easy to view both in the post and on full screen. Some of those were priceless. To bad for me that I nolonger live in NY. I could have sent in a print of our pet, oh well.

    I am sure you and the other judges spent much time deciding on the winners, I only had two that I did agree with. All the submissions were good that you posted.

    On the tech side of things. "The following is a slideshow of all the winners and honorable mentions". That is the only slideshow that I could not view. I did mention that on the whats wrong post on the main page of the website. Not sure if it is on my end or the website as of 0800hrs this morning.

    thanks again
    lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lou,

    Thank so you much for reading my first story and giving me feedback! I really appreciate it. There were definitely many animals that I wish could have won also, that may not have made it. And I have checked out the video on the website and it seems to be working now, there is just some space between "The following is a slideshow of all the winners and honorable mentions" and the actual video. If you still are having a problem let me know and I will try to get it fixed.

    Thanks again,
    Kierstem

    ReplyDelete