Friday, May 6, 2011

Youtube Video Editor

When I came into the Daily Freeman today, I sat down to watch the tweets from the courthouse once again. Today the judge sentenced the two men convicted of murder to life in prison without parole.

Then I went onto Nieman Lab to look at "This Week in Review".

This week the hot topic was about the death of Osama bin Laden. In most of my classes at school, my professors have been asking us how we first found out about the death of Osama bin Laden. In all of my classes the majority of people said through twitter or facebook. The article in Nieman Lab this week talks about the spread of information through twitter.

The first man who tweeted about Osama bin Laden did not have a degree in journalism; yet, he had instantly become one of the most important journalists to American citizens at that moment. Twitter has become the fastest way to get news out there.

After doing some reading I was given a Flip camera to go out and shoot some stuff. I got in my car and starting driving around the city of Kingston. (I only know how to get to two places in Kingston: here, the Daily Freeman,and the Recreation Center) Therefore, I was a little lost. I ended up going down to the marina where the boats are docked.

I got some footage and tried to talk to two different people but got shot down twice =( so I gave up and just took footage of objects.

When I came back to the Daily Freeman I set up a youtube account and used the Youtube Video Editor to start putting together some clips.

The youtube video editor allows you to cut, rotate, brighten or dim, and add music to clips. It also allows you to add musics and transitions. A great thing about the video editor is that it has an option to stabilize your video. If your video is a little shaky, youtube will straighten it out for you.

This is the video that I started to put together using the editor. It does look pretty cool so far, considering I had pretty bad footage and am not good at editing. It is really easy to do, doesn't take much time and it looks good, even though I'm not finished.

In school I am learning how to use Avid, which is terribly complex, confusing, and time consuming. For a newsroom, especially a small newsroom where everybody has 3 different jobs, editing on a complex program is not very effective. The youtube editor is definitely something to consider!

No comments:

Post a Comment